I have a special treat for you today! My daughter, Lis, has agreed to write a guest post for you, sharing a fun event we attended together!
This week I attended the Style Week OC Fashion Show Finale, supporting the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising Museum – FIDM Museum. It was a special treat for me, as I have just graduated from FIDM with a degree emphasis in Visual Communications. The night started out with my first glass of champagne ever and a petite swag bag on our seats.
The first show was a few of my FIDM buds, (I use the term ‘buds’ lightly as I had class with two of the designers…didn’t know them personally) competing in the Cadillac Couture Challenge, where they designed couture gowns based on car parts and a selected geographic area of the world. It was pretty CAR-razy! (ba sum shhhh).
Moving on to the fall fashion show, we saw previews from Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Gary, American Rag and Vince. Its the time we have all been waiting for! FALL! Most of my closet is sweaters, so I’ve been waiting for this day since, well, forever.
Fall 2012 TIPS:
- LEGGINGS! Everyone loves the freedom and comfort of a great legging, I know I do. But the ones we saw parading down the runway were thicker (thank GOD, no undies or anything showing through), had complementary darting, and even minimal patterns or leather patches. Please. I beg of you. Wear your leggings appropriately. Longer tops, and layers! No one wants to see your VPL (visible panty line) or other things.
- Ankle booties! Yes, tall boots are still hot, but the little ankle booties are where it’s at. With or without heels. I love pairing mine with some scrunched socks and sometimes tights.
- Layers of patterns! This can get complicated and overwhelming, but layering different patterns together is trending. Floral and polka dots, stripes and paisley, aztec and plaid, etc. The key here is to have complementary or opposing color palettes with the two patterns, and that they go together somehow so as to not hurt people’s eyes. Personally, I like smaller, more muted patterns mixed, or, for example, a striped top under a plaid coat. This might be the most flexible trend to play with, so have fun with it!
- Textures! Mix textures with textures, mix textures with patterns, play and be merry. We saw textures in overcoats, dresses, leggings, tops, bags, just everything. We also saw a coat that looked like a deceased muppet, but that doesn’t make it okay. I’d look for a great coat that can last you through the season, one with a decent amount of texture and/or color that can go over a variety of outfits so you can get the most use out of it.
- Accessories! Hats, bags, scarfs, whew! These were shown at POC (Pop of Color) on the runway, Prussian blue fedora hats, paisley printed infinity scarves, and all sorts of bags. Hand held, over the shoulder, cross body, even murses (man purses), in an array of colors. Muted, bold, patterns, worn-in looking, and a fad this year is doctor bag inspired.
These are the hot trends for this year, but remember everyone is different. We are not all stick thin, (I think I have leftover pizookie on my shirt), we have different coloring and tastes. So, find a trend or a few that you like, and find that special item that you love and incorporate it into your wardrobe and lifestyle. Mazel tof!